.Net Framework 3.0 there are so many different technologies to handle the distributed request such as COM+, Web Service, .Net Remoting etc.
In WCF you can handle this by configuring bindings attributes of an endpoints. You can use HTTP or TCP or MSMQ binding just by twining the binding values.
It is made up of a collection of binding elements such as Underlying transport protocol, security requirements and message encoding.
- basicHttpBinding : Is used to communicate with clients and web services(ASMX). It uses HTTP as the transport protocol and Text/XML as the default message encoding. It does not provide any transaction support and soap security.
- wsHttpBinding: It is used to communicate with the distributed environment and are more secure and reliable. It uses SOAP security for reliable session and uses HTTP and HTTPS transport for communication.
- NetMSMQBinding: It is used to communicate with the MSMQ clients. It uses MSQM as a protocol for cross machine communication. In this client & services do not need to be online at the same time.
- NetTCPBinding: Used to communicate with the clients/service across the machine. It provides secure and reliable bindings for .NET to .NET cross machine communication. It uses TCP Protocol.
- NetNamedPipeBinding: Used to communicate with the clients/service on the same machine. It uses the named pipe protocols and provide secure and reliable binding for cross process on the same machine communication.
What is WCF